Monday, April 23, 2012

Recipe #34... Blueberry-Orange Protein Smoothie... Ready to face the day

Note: With all the fresh fruit packed in, smoothies can easily tip the teeter-totter in favor of carbohydrates... If you are trying to strike more of a carb-to-protein balance, add greek yogurt or protein powder to your smoothie.  In this version, I added both to tip the balance towards protein.  You can use hemp, pea, or organic whey protein... soy tends to be GMO, so I stay away.  I've been trying out different brands of whey and have arrived at the conclusion that I am not a huge fan of the after-taste.  I prefer hemp (protein, that is) or just another greek yogurt... but I gave Tera's Whey a try; it's more subtle than other brands. Whatever you choose... blend and flex... and bend and stretch...
  
Blueberry-Orange Protein Smoothie
Add the following to your mixer of choice...
Makes 2 healthy servings
*Reminder... I am not a nutritionist

1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)

1 packet blueberry protein powder (I used Tera's Whey)
1 6 oz container plain greek yogurt
2 seedless oranges (peeled)
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 avocado (for creamy texture and healthy fats)
3/4 c frozen blueberries
1 c Ice (big cubes usually 5 or 6) 

Make sure you use a juicy, sweet orange...  This smoothie would be a good candidate for a post-workout recovery snack as well...  Just make sure you bring your floss... blueberry skin seems to always settle in between your teeth; giving you a deep blue-speckled smile :)...  -A

No comments:

Post a Comment