Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Recipe #21... Romancing the Romesco... A palate-pleaser

Note: I began my romance with Romesco during a cooking class at Whole Foods... If you haven't been to one, the classes are a reasonably priced, eat, learn, and shop - delightful - experience... Brilliant  by design!  Fill me up - belly to heart - with delicious foods, and point me to the aisles where I can fill my cart and recreate the meal for the bellies that I hold dear to my heart...

Romancing the Romesco Sauce
The serving size depends on what you do with it... if you are drizzling it over roasted potatoes or chicken, then it could serve 6-8 people.

1 Tomato, halved

2 Roasted red peppers
1-2 cloves of garlic 

2 slices bread, cubed (I used 7 grain Gluten Free bread, though crusty sourdough is recommended)

1/4 c sunflower seeds (the original recipe called for almonds)

1. Roast the above ingredients in the oven at 400 F for 10-12 mins... bread and seeds get a little sunburn
2. Blend with roasty - toasty mix with... 

1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (a peppery one would be good)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar 

A sprig or two of fresh parsley
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp salt (you can adjust with more, but never less!)

As you see, I started the with Whole Foods recipe - thanks Chef Ani for your beautiful class - and I replaced the almonds with sunflower seeds...  mostly due to what was on hand in the cupboards... I love this as a sweet potato topper... it's a sweet and smoky romance...  -A

No comments:

Post a Comment