Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Recipe #46... Gingery Nut Butter... A treat for your kiddos or the kiddo in you

Note:  Self sufficiency and trust are two qualities that the bulk section of the grocery store promotes in shoppers.  Bulk food foragers can weigh and thereby control their product, and they are trusted to enter the correct PLU... and print & affix a label.  Who doesn't appreciate being shown good faith in their person now and again?  In need of the feeling that I have control over my own destiny, I paid a visit to the bulk section.  I filled my bag with a mixture of roasted nuts; cashews, almonds, filberts, pecans, and hazelnuts.  I then chose to filter them into the Vitamix...

Gingery Nut Butter
Makes 8-10 servings
Add the following to the blender and blend on high speed... 
Use the "smushing tool" - technical term - to push the ingredients down into the blades

2 c roasted mixed nuts
**or buy the nuts raw and give them a tan in your oven
1 tbsp simple syrup (raw sugar and water)
1 tsp fresh ginger (try Ginger People Minced Organic)
1 pinch of salt

Vitamix warns not to process nut butters for more than a minute.  As with my last attempt, I felt my Vitamix heading toward burn-out and so I stopped it.  It took me two passes on high speed to arrive at a crunchy nut butter.   Instead of spreading my fresh creation on a piece of toast, I decided to treat my inner child to "ants on a log" and homemade nut butter -n'- crackers!  Play and have fun today... -A

No comments:

Post a Comment