Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fill up the shape that you now are... A lasting suggestion...

There is a phrase that is never strays far from the forefront of my mind... A gentle suggestion that has left a lasting impression on my person.  It originates from a VHS my mom bought when I was in middle school: Ali McGaw's Yoga Mind & Body.  During a sequence expansive standing poses, the teacher instructs Ali and her posse of yogis, which I like to think includes my mom and me, to "fill up the shape that you now are."  That simple suggestion has surfaced again and again on the shores of my mind.  At the conclusion of a recent yoga class, as I breathed into shavasana (corpse pose), I heard his familiar voice again and I listened. 

Flux is our certainty.  We are constantly being molded, changed, shifted... but not exactly in the manner white-hot liquid fills a mold; adopting the form of a predetermined shape...  It's more like a mountain, inevitably resurfaced by outside forces that can neither be predicted or controlled... eroded but not less, just different... and yet with it's shifting landscape, the mountain continues to rise to meet itself, proudly filling up each shape it becomes; it's present.  Namaste... -A

No comments:

Post a Comment